Skip to main content

Tatiana Nabieva is Retiring

Sad news this holiday season, Russian gymnast Tatiana Nabieva has decided to call it quits on the sport of gymnastics.

According to Russian Gymnastics Facebook, Tatiana announced her impending retirement via her Instagram account. This is what she had to say:


“Thanks to my coaches for this. They took me out of children garden, they did my homework with me, they brought me up and cheered me up when I felt bad. They didn’t let me fell to the bottom and took me out of there. Big thanks to my coaches Kiryashovim A.V and V.I. You’re my mother and father! I love you! "

It's certainly heartbreaking, but not entirely surprising. After dealing with injuries, she was named as an alternate to the 2012 Olympic team. But it seemed like 2013 would be a great year for Tatiana, aka Tanya. She  competed with Russia at the University Games in Kazan, bringing home a team gold medal and an individual silver medal on the uneven bars.

She dominated at the Russian Cup, taking the all-around title and then was named to the Worlds team going to Antwerp. Then, Antwerp turned out to be a comedy of errors. During podium training, Tanya hit her head while training a floor routine and wound up only competing on vault and bars. She didn't make the vault final but she was first reserve for the uneven bars final.

But, as we know from Chellsie Memmel's recent announcement, retiring doesn't always mean athletes are done with the sport completely. There is other disciplines in the sport of gymnastics that allow athletes to continue competing without the stress that artistic gymnastics puts on their bodies. Tanya recently posted this video of herself playing around with an acro gymnast.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elise Ray Officially Named Washington Head Coach

Elise Ray, 2000 Olympic Bronze Medalist,  US National Champion, NCAA champion, has been named the head coach at the University of Washington's gymnastics program, following the retirement of longtime head coach, Joanne Bowers.

Peyton Ernst Transfers to Alabama

 Peyton Ernst announced that she's transferred to the University of Alabama to complete her education and to continue her college gymnastics career.

Kyla Ross Out of Worlds Selection

Kyla Ross has ended her bid for a  spot on a third world championship team and withdrawn from worlds selection camp for the world championships in Glasgow, Great Britain. USA Gymnastics released a statement earlier today confirming Kyla's withdrawal from the selection camp, which starts Oct. 6th.